Louisiana Survivors Affected by Severe Winter Storms Reminded to Call for Federal Disaster Assistance | KTVE
BATON ROUGE, La. – Louisianans in 23 parishes designated for federal assistance are encouraged to register with FEMA as soon as possible if they have suffered damage to their homes as a result of recent winter storms. The deadline to apply is May 10th.
Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs, and other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
Residents who have been temporarily forced to leave their homes due to utility outages must also register with FEMA. Reimbursement of hotel costs or other temporary rental costs may be possible.
The 23 eligible parishes are Avoyelles, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, DeSoto, East Baton Rouge, Franklin, Grant, LaSalle, Madison, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Webster, West Carroll and Winn.
If you are insured and request assistance in the event of a claim, you must also file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If the insurance does not cover all of your damages, you may be eligible for federal assistance.
- Visit www.disasterassistance.gov;
- Call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free lines operate from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. CDT, seven days a week.
Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel must update FEMA with their specific number assigned to this service; Where
- Download the FEMA mobile app by sending an ANDROID or APPLE SMS to 43362.
When requesting help, have the following information ready:
- A current phone number where you can be contacted;
- Your address at the time of the loss and the address where you currently reside;
- Your Social Security number;
- A general list of damages and losses;
- If insured, the insurance policy number or the name of the agent and the company; and
- Causes damage. The cause of damage for this disaster is ice / snow even though you have had water intrusion due to melting ice or snow or loss of power due to snow and ice buildup.
Residents are requested to save all photos taken to document damage and all purchase receipts related to cleaning and repair.
Low-interest disaster loans from the US Small Business Administration are available to businesses, homeowners, and tenants. Call the SBA at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 800-877-8339) or visit www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.