Dead Dog Abandoned in East Valley Sparks Anger and Sorrow
LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — This was a horrific discovery of animal neglect. A dog was found dead on the side of the road in the East Valley of Las Vegas, trapped in his kennel.
“It makes me angry and I will never understand why people let this happen,” said Dominika Halgasova, a volunteer with the Vegas Pet Rescue Project.
Halgasova is furious after the dog’s body was found on the side of the road next to Judson Avenue and Marion Drive in Sunrise Manor.
The actual image of the Shar-Pei, still inside its kennel, was too upsetting to show in our report.
“I knew he was in bad shape from the photo, but I didn’t expect him to just be thrown in here, dead, you know,” she said.
Halgasova says the dog looked starved and malnourished before it died. She says the rescue project has noticed a trend.
“Over the past year, we’ve had a lot of hungry Shar-Peis found on this side of town,” she said.
Clark County Animal Control confirms there is an open case into the dog’s death, and the investigation is continuing. Halgasova says she arrived as an officer was retrieving the kennel. With empty dirt lots and abandoned furniture in the area, she’s not surprised someone left a dog there.
“A desert area. No surveillance cameras around. It’s convenient to throw a dog in the desert like that, and it’s never right to do that,” she said.
Hearts Alive Village veterinarian Dr. Ken Sieranski has seen many abandoned animals passing through his office. He says that while some cases involved outright abuse, others involved pet owners not having access to adequate pet care.
“They may be going through very difficult times themselves and not being aware of the options they have in the community,” he said.
Halgasova says pets can be turned over to area shelters or rescues, so they can be cared for rather than abandoned.
“They don’t need to be dumped in the desert,” she said.
Hearts Alive Village offers discounted veterinary care and also has a pet food bank for people who are struggling to feed their pets. Find more information on the association’s website here.