Clarksville Academy students excel at YMCA Youth in Government
CLARKSVILLE, TN – Clarksville Academy sent 20 students and two chaperones to Nashville to participate in the annual YMCA Youth in Government Conference. CA has always had a strong presence at this conference, and this year was no exception.
Before the conference, students spend weeks preparing. Each team of students (two to three students per team) works to research and prepare a comprehensive bill to present in front of student peers across the state. Bills must also include a budget. Student bills cover a wide range of social issues such as health care, child services, and homelessness. Students stand on the floor of the House or Senate and present their bills. After presenting the bill, the student public is invited to debate its merits. He then proceeds to the vote.
“It’s a big task for our students, and we’re very proud of their work, their performance and CA’s representation,” said Sally Allen.
- Caroline Johnston served as leader of the Red Senate.
- Selby Shipley and Hailey Ray served as Associate Justices of the Supreme Court.
- Theresa Schwartz served as Clerk of the Supreme Court.
- Isabella Allen served in the Governor’s Cabinet as Chair of the Department of Children’s Services.
- Katie Thrash and Molly Clark’s bill has been signed into law.
- Caroline Johnston’s bill has been signed into law.
- Noah Goble and Brylie Sykes’ bill passed the House and was approved by the Governor.
- Abby Powers and Tanner Wilson’s bill passes the House.
- Ashlynn York and Rachel Austin’s bill passes the Senate.
- Makenzie Clyde’s bill passes the Senate.
- Huiyoun Pyo and Ben Giles won the last trial in the Supreme Court.
- Emily Nguyen and Trinity Wilson won both of their Supreme Court cases.
- Caroline Johnston is an alternate for the CONA (Conference of National Affairs).
- Nadia Wade and Liya Patel wrote several articles and were official photographers in the press corps.
The following students have been elected to leadership positions for the 2023 Youth in Government Conference.
- Ben Giles and Emily Nguyen – associate judges
- Huiyoun Pyo – Solicitor General
- Theresa Schwartz – Court Clerk
“We couldn’t be more impressed with this group of students and how they represented CA at this prestigious conference,” said Allen.